Did you know you can install aluminum or vinyl over cedar siding? Many homes in Portland OR and Vancouver WA have many layers of siding. What are the pros and cons to siding layovers?
Pros to installing Vinyl Siding or Aluminum Siding over existing Siding.
- Save money (Usually Thousands) on tear off
- Save money on LEAD abatement
- Better energy efficiency with multiple layers.
Cons to installing Vinyl Siding or Aluminum Siding over existing Siding.
- You wont be able to see any pre existing conditions. for Example Subwall rot or water leaks under your current siding.
- Usually a foam backer board needs to be installed to make a flat surface. In this case you would pay for more materials and labor for that install.
- The Windows will now be inset due to added a layer on top of your existing siding.
This is why it’s best to talk to a specialist. Most commission based salesmen want the contractor to be higher to more money in your pocket. As an honest local siding Contractor, We at Elite Home Exteriors NW will never pressure you into products you DON’T need! Plus you will be working directly with the owners of the company. Want an honest and unbiased opinion on what exterior system is best for you? Contact Elite as your preferred contractor!